Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the
Board of Education of the County of Roane
April 9, 2020
6:00 pm @ Roane County Schools Central Office, Spencer, WV
- This meeting was held virtually / telephonically. The public could join by calling 1-304-553-7794 and entering the conference ID 985 677 242 or join on Microsoft Teams using the provided link.
- Positively Charged - Resolution recognizing efforts of RCBOE teachers, support staff, and administration during COVID-19 pandemicMotion by Gregory Boggs and seconded by Jeffrey Tanner to approve. Motion carried. (6:14 pm)
- Public Participation
- Student AchievementAs a state, we requested and were granted a waiver of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), which deals with Federal requirements for testing and accountability. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, there will be no year-end testing even if we end up going back to school in May. Therefore, we may not know what data we will have going into the 2020-21 school year. We will watch and see what it all means as we move forward. It has been suggested to the counties that grades from the 3rd 9 weeks should be carried forward. Teachers may grant improvements to grades if their assessments show additional efforts from students but not reductions.
- New Business for Consideration and Potential Action
- Update on BOE operations during statewide school closure due to COVID-19 outbreak
- Request by Clayton Homes of Spencer for adjustment of lease agreementMotion by Jeffrey Tanner and seconded by Eileen Richardson to approve. Motion carried. (6:52 pm)
- Remove from Administrative Transfer List and Assign as Noted (effective 2020-21 school year)Motion by James Minney and seconded by Gregory Boggs to approve. Motion carried. (7:03 pm)
- Andrea Hays, to Teacher / 5th Grade, Walton Elementary Middle School
- Amber Osborne, to Teacher / Social Studies, Geary Elementary Middle School
- Consideration and possible adoption of bus schedules for the 2020-21 school yearMr. Mace requested to table this item until there is further input from GEMS.
- Consideration of impact and actions required under The Alex Miller Law (WVC 18-2-25c)
- Update on summer 2020 construction projects
- Paving at SMS and WEMS
- Safe Schools Entrances at RCHS and SES
- Consent Agenda - (Action)Motion by Jeffrey Tanner and seconded by Gregory Boggs to approve the following consent agenda as recommended by Richard Duncan, Superintendent. Motion carried. (8:13 pm)
- Approval of minutes of Regular Board Meeting on March 26, 2020
- Transfers/supplements to the budget
- Payments of bills as submitted; pre-approval to release checks not to exceed $20,000 prior to the next board meeting
- Financial Reports
- Contract(s) / Bid(s)
- Field Trips
- Student Transfers
- Personnel Consent Agenda - (Action)Motion by Jeffrey Tanner and seconded by James Minney to approve the following personnel items as recommended by Richard Duncan, Superintendent. Motion carried. (8:17 pm)
- Leave of Absence(s)
- Stepp, Rachel - Teacher / 2nd Grade (Spencer Elementary School), effective February 17, 2020 to April 10, 2020, amendment of previous leave (from September 12, 2019)
- Leave of Absence(s)
- Reports of Committees
- Superintendent's RemarksBrandy Brabham from WVU Extension office will be introducing their newest agent at our next meeting and will also discuss their budget for the upcoming year. The WV School Boards Association has scheduled a webinar for the 22nd with the State Superintendent regarding COVID-19 and Mr. Seufer with a legislative update. We hope to have a better idea after these 2 meetings concerning our status on returning to school in May.
- Adjourn until the statutory meeting on Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at a time and place to be determined, for the purpose of regular business and to reconvene the March 26, 2020 regular meeting.Motion by Eileen Richardson and seconded by Jeffrey Tanner to approve. Motion carried. (8:36 pm)
The next regular meeting is scheduled for 6:00 pm on May 14, 2020 at Roane County Schools Central Office.