Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the
Board of Education of the County of Roane
December 17, 2020
6:00 pm @ Roane County High School, Spencer, WV
- This meeting could be joined remotely. The public could join by calling 1-304-553-7794 and entering the provided conference ID or by joining on Microsoft Teams using the provided link.
- Positively ChargedStudents earning All-State honors in fall sports were recognized. For football, Claude Bauer and Justin Roberts were named Second Team All-State and Austin Hawkins was given Honorable Mention. For volleyball, Honorable Mention was given to Jaden Rogers.
- Public Participation
- Student AchievementThe results of a parent survey conducted by Coordinator of Family Engagement
- New Business for Consideration and Potential Action
- Student expulsion hearing #20201217Motion by Gregory Boggs and seconded by Daris Harper to go into closed session as per WV Code 6-9A-4(b)(3) for a student expulsion hearing. Motion carried. (7:28 pm)Motion by James Minney and seconded by Gregory Boggs to return to open session. Motion carried. No action was taken in closed session. (8:10 pm)Motion by James Minney and seconded by Gregory Boggs to expel student #20201217 for up to one year. Motion carried. (8:11 pm)
- Consideration and possible action on recommendation to ratify suspension and terminate employment contract of Employee A, a custodianMotion by Gregory Boggs and seconded by Eileen Richardson to go into closed session for personnel exception, as per Code 6-9A-4(b)(2)(B). Motion carried. (8:13 pm)Motion by Daris Harper and seconded by Gregory Boggs to return to open session. Motion carried. No action was taken in closed session. (8:31 pm)Motion by James Minney and seconded by Gregory Boggs to ratify the unpaid suspension of Custodian, Tara McKown from 10/27/2020 to 12/17/2020 and terminate employment of Ms. McKown, effective 12/17/2020. Motion carried. (8:32 pm)
- Update on COVID-19 and vaccinations
- Calendar of BOE Meetings for the second half of 2020-21
- Preview of planning for 2021-22
- Consent Agenda - (Action)Motion by Eileen Richardson and seconded by James Minney to approve the following consent agenda as recommended by Richard Duncan, Superintendent. Motion carried. (9:21 pm)
- Approval of minutes of regular board meeting on December 3, 2020
- Transfers/supplements to the budget
- Payments of bills as submitted; pre-approval to release checks not to exceed $20,000 prior to the next board meeting
- Financial Reports
- Contract(s) / Agreement(s) / Bid(s)
- Field trip(s)
- Student Transfer(s)
- Personnel Consent Agenda - (Action)Motion by James Minney and seconded by Daris Harper to approve the following personnel items as recommended by Richard Duncan, Superintendent. Motion carried. (9:22 pm)approve. Mr. Minney requested to vote on Item 1c separately.
- Keiffer, Bryan - Coordinator of Technology (RCS - Central Office), effective December 9, 2020, updated to reflect date of hire after release from previous employer (from October 22, 2020)
- White, Carrie - Substitute teacher (RCS - Substitutes), effective December 18, 2020
- Baker, John - Custodian III (Roane County High School), effective December 18, 2020, from the substitute listItem 1c was voted on separately with Mr. Minney abstaining. Motion carried. (9:23 PM)
- DiGennaro, Jessica - Substitute teacher (RCS - Substitutes), effective December 18, 2020, re-hire to remove restricted status
- Reports of CommitteesRoane-Jackson Technical Center Administrative Council
- Superintendent's RemarksMerry Christmas and Happy New Year!
- Adjourn until the next regular meeting, Thursday, January 7, 2020, at 6:00 pm at Roane County High SchoolMotion by Gregory Boggs and seconded by James Minney to adjourn. Motion carried. (9:27 pm)