Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the
Board of Education of the County of Roane
February 25, 2021
6:00 pm @ Roane County High School, Spencer, WV
- This meeting could be joined remotely. The public could join by calling 1-304-553-7794 and entering the provided conference ID or by joining on Microsoft Teams using the provided link.
- Positively ChargedAbout 130 staff members received both rounds of the vaccination. They will soon be reallocating some more doses from counties that have had high rates of vaccination so far to those counties that have had lower rates of vaccination so far. We are now proud to announce the winners of the Young Writers Contest for Roane County. Danielle Osborne (GEMS), Willow Mollohan (GEMS), Zeke Taylor (SMS), David Carper (GEMS), Charles Abnathy (RCHS), and Suraya Boggs (RCHS) will go to the state level to compete. We wish them luck.
- Public Participation
- Student AchievementWhy do we see so many in-person learners failing than in the past? This question was posed to our teachers. Their answer was that in-person learners are not always in-person. Throughout the year, we have had a number of closures, causing a disruption in their learning. We will continue to try minimizing the disruption and continue encouraging teachers to develop their skills. In addition, the state expects to fund up to 3 years of summer programs to boost academics and provide social time for students.
- New Business for Consideration and Potential Action
- Consent Agenda - (Action)Motion by Eileen Richardson and seconded by Gregory Boggs to approve the following consent agenda as recommended by Richard Duncan, Superintendent. Motion carried. (7:24 pm)
- Approval of minutes of regular board meeting on February 11, 2021
- Transfers/supplements to the budget
- Payments of bills as submitted; pre-approval to release checks not to exceed $20,000 prior to the next board meeting
- Financial Reports
- Second Reading
- Policy 526 - Reimbursement for Professional Expenses and Training (new)
- Second Reading
- Contract(s) / Agreement(s) / Bid(s)
- Field trip(s)
- Student Transfer(s)
- Personnel Consent Agenda - (Action)Motion by Daris Harper and seconded by Gregory Boggs to approve the following personnel items as recommended by Richard Duncan, Superintendent. Motion carried. (7:26 pm)
- Nichols, Amy - Assistant Coach, Volleyball (Roane County High School), effective February 24, 2021
- Short, Kathy - Substitute teacher (RCS - Substitutes), effective February 26, 2021
- Freeland, Meagan - Substitute teacher (RCS - Substitutes), effective February 26, 2021
- Reports of Committees
- Roane-Jackson Technical Center Administrative Council (2/23/2021)Both counties are back up and running. The water plant project finally looks like they have permits approved to do the work in the summer. The welding shop instructors hope to be certified at a national level by AWS. This will hopefully happen soon. Recently, we've mentioned embedded credits, which is a CTE pathway that allows students to take 4 credits, covering the same content standards of another class, allowing them to get credit for this additional class. We hope to discuss this more in the future.
- Superintendent's RemarksExpect discussion on school calendar coming up. Also, personnel realignment packages are coming up. Due to some luck, the federal stimulus package, and good planning from last year, we should have a relatively soft impact this year. We need to start planning on where our stimulus monies should go. We have 4 working groups ready, teaching and learning, student support, community engagement and classroom furnishings and equipment. We need to see where we need to go with our current supports for summer and beyond. With this large amount of funding that we will get once, we will need to invest in items that will last a while.
- Adjourn until the next regular meeting, Thursday, March 11, 2021, at 6:00 pm at Roane County High SchoolMotion by Gregory Boggs and seconded by Daris Harper to approve. Motion carried. (7:46 pm)